Topics

Using .FORGET on a spell

"Bryan Hanson

I am crossposting this from pcgenlstfilehelp to see if anyone here may know the answer to my question.  It has not garnered any response on that group.

 have tried searching and don't know if I am doing something wrong, this is a bug (known or not), or just not supported.  (or how it should work)

For some reason .FORGET doesn't seem to work for me on a spell. I went back and recreated it with just the RSRD and a simple homebrew LST to make sure it was not something else in the datasets causing an issue.

After trying this and reloading everything (even exiting the program just to make sure)

Alarm.FORGET

And the spell is still showing up on the spell list for known spells.  What is odd is that I see an error introduced in the rsrd_kits.lst file with an unconstructed reference tot he spell Alarm so i am assuming it is actually forgetting it.  Likely the line in that file with the error is

SPELLS:SPELLBOOK=Prepared Spells|Daze|Detect Magic=2|Resistance|Alarm|Charm Person|Color Spray|Mage Armor|Magic Missile=2|Blur|Bull's Strength|Darkness|Fox's Cunning|See Invisibility|Dispel Magic|Displacement|Fly|Lightning Bolt|Invisibility (Greater)|Phantasmal Killer|Scrying|Stoneskin|Hold Monster|Lightning Bolt[Empower Spell]|Wall of Force

So the question is if it is forgetting the spell, why is it showing up on the spell list of known spells  in the program?  Using a different spell (Hideous Laughter) which does NOT throw any errors

Hideous Laughter.FORGET

I see the same thing.  Datasets load fine this time and show green. but when I go to add spells it is still on the list.

I can .MOD and .COPY the spell just fine, it is when i just use .FORGET it doesn't seem to go away from the spell list.

Am i doing something wrong or is this an issue?

Bryan

markjmeans

The problem with FORGET is that many sources may refer to the ability/item/spell/skill/whatever that you want removed. I have run across this situation in PFS source material that, among other things, bars almost all crafting feats. The solution for PFS support was to add a PRExxx that makes it unavailable (and thus red in the chooser) to all PCs, and so that a player directly add it. Then, just in case there is some other ability or thing that refers to it and tries to add it to the PC, I also use CLEAR the description and  replace it with text that states this feat is not available in PFS. Also, some things in PCGen can be set to VISIBILITY:HIDDEN and some cannot. For those that can be hidden, you can use that as a third method to block it’s use and display on the character sheet.

[...]

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 07:20 AM, markjmeans wrote:
VISIBILITY:HIDDEN
Thank you for your response, and sorry in my delay, but I wanted to get to where i could verify something.  I thought I had tried VISIBILITY as a work around and confirmed that yes I had.  Spells seem to be one of the places where visibility does not work. I can see the point of adding the PRE requirement, but that still seems like a work around.

And it really doesn't answer my question of how should FORGET be working with spells. Is it expected that they still appear int eh known spells list in the GUI for you to select or is that really a bug. To my mind if they are forgotten then they should not show up anywhere.  The GUI included.

I also see your point about the potential issue with other sources and impacts, but that is a completely different issue.

Cheers,
Bryan