Topics

Translation / other languages #pathfinder

fragle@...

Hi,
first of all, I want to whish you a happy new year. You have done a great Job with PCGen. I have a question / suggestion. What do you think about translations .

My first idea was to copy and paste the Pathfinder-Datafiles and then edit the Files to translate it, but i think this will be a lot of work to complete, and I think maybe I will do a lot of mistakes, so the File won't work any more. My second idea was to write a small C#-Programm to do this job. Maybe this will work a bit faster (but the possibility of doing mistakes is nearly the same). And finaly my last idea is, to write a new DataFile for the german language, but this will be also a lot of work and I don't have much experience in writing data-files, so this will be very difficult. What do you think about this. Is there an special editor with syntax-highlighing or automatic correction / testing or maybe a tool for generating these files.

Maybe you have already thought about that. Are there any law things we have to think about (e.g. copyright, etc). Maybe there will be the posibillity to add a languagefile / translationfile so that there will be an easy way to translate

Best whishes

Markus

@Ferret_Dave

Greetings
changing the text for *data* that is output (such as feats or equipment) is very easily handled by adding a datafile that modifies the description text.

there are tutorials (lessons) available and the help files explain well.

essentially, using a spell file as an example;
spell name.MOD<tab>DESC:.clear<tab>DESC:newtext to display

Paul Grosse

You could also run the resulting html output sheet through Google Translate, but that's kinda hit or miss. :)

Paul A. Grosse

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 12:01:04 PM EST, fragle@... <fragle@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the quick response. Yes this would be one method, but that's not exaktly what I thought about. For Example you have the race name "Dwarf" In german it is  "Zwerg". I think if you change the race in the lst-File to "Zwerg" some things wont work, if you don't change it in all other files. Another thing would be the Abilities (Strength, Dexterity, etc.). In the english version they have shortnames like "STR", "DEX", "CON"; etc. In the german version, there are other Ones (with 2 letters) like "ST", "GE", "KO" , etc.

So if you want to translate this too, you have to cahnge everything, because these shortwords / keys, etc are used in all files. For example when you want to export the charakter to a character-sheet.

Andrew Maitland

Hi all,

Let me jump in here before things get out of hand and you waste time exploring options that won't go hand-in-hand with what direction we are going.

For the Text of Ability objects - Class Features, Racial Traits, Traits, Feats, etc. You can do what Dave Griffin suggests - DESC:.CLEAR <tab> DESC:New Text

That's the quick and dirty, but ultimately not the direction we'd be heading.

However, let me add you should hold off a bit if you can.

First - DESC/BENEFIT are getting replaced by a new tag - INFO

Second, the Code Team led by Tom Parker is looking to expand into internationalization methods to make life easier for everyone involved.

I imagine something like:

Dwarf.MOD

INFO:Race|{default}Dwarf|{German}Zwerg

and then

INFO:Description|{default}My Text in English|{German}My Text in German

Or akin to that. I'm not the one with the master plan, but I do know we have plans to make this a reality.

Let's wait for the official word, or at least the direction, so you don't go off full tilt and make yourself a lot of extra busy work.

I've flagged Tom on this, so hopefully he can chime in shortly with some directions for you so you'll be able to transition easily.

Cheers,

Andrew

On 1/2/2019 10:50 AM, fragle@... wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. Yes this would be one method, but that's not exaktly what I thought about. For Example you have the race name "Dwarf" In german it is  "Zwerg". I think if you change the race in the lst-File to "Zwerg" some things wont work, if you don't change it in all other files. Another thing would be the Abilities (Strength, Dexterity, etc.). In the english version they have shortnames like "STR", "DEX", "CON"; etc. In the german version, there are other Ones (with 2 letters) like "ST", "GE", "KO" , etc.

So if you want to translate this too, you have to cahnge everything, because these shortwords / keys, etc are used in all files. For example when you want to export the charakter to a character-sheet.

fragle@...

Hello @Andrew Maitland
thanks for the response and the future plans. That was exactly what I've been looking for. A real translation to other languages. If this is already on your ToDo-List, this will be a great feature. And yes, I can wait. It was just an idea. And because of this idea I've been asking this to the crew / community, because I don't wan't to do things thats already have done by someone else or that will be integrated in future, so that the work is for nothing.

Maybe you can do it with an additional translationfile, so that you have one file (or maybe a few more ) for one language. So this would be easier to translate to several langauges. But this is your "job" and can't tell you, who you have to do this job ;-) .

If you need help, for the translation, just send me an e-mail. I have several E-Books (PDFs) for Pathfinder.

best whishes

Markus

@Ferret_Dave

Interesting times 😀