Topics

RC5 no longer asks about sources when loading a character

markjmeans

After you load sources, if you then load a PC with the same sources plus one source, PCGen RC5 doesn’t ask if you want to use the loaded sources or the character’s sources, and it doesn’t use the already loaded sources.

Nick

Weird. It worked when I did that exact thing last night. 

Paul Grosse

That's a problem :(

--
--Paul Grosse
--PCGen BoD, PR Silverback
@Nylanfs

markjmeans

Okay, I think I figured this out. This is a VERY old PFS PC that has been updated once or twice a year and has gone through many version of PCGen, upgrading the PC each time. It was created back when PFS was not a different game mode. So the PC is set to Pathfinder_RPG even though it also specifies only a single PFS game mode multi-source. And it loads! Weird.

But at least it’s understandable why it doesn’t prompt. It’s a different game mode than what is already loaded and PCGen has never prompted the user when loading a file from different game mode.

From: main@pcgen.groups.io <main@pcgen.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Grosse via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 12:24
To: main@pcgen.groups.io
Subject: Re: [pcgen] RC5 no longer asks about sources when loading a character

--
--Paul Grosse
@Nylanfs

markjmeans

Still no prompt even after correcting the PC’s game mode tag. I’ve attached the relevant files.

The PC has a single source “My Pathfinder Society Campaign” which is a homebrew source set up as a mult-set so that I have a single place to edit when I buy a new Pathfinder source book that can be used with PFS and so that all my PFS characters gain the benefits of having additional source choices without having to manually edit the PCG file or update each PC’s sources.

The LSTs in the homebrew campaign are also used as a playground if I own a book that is not yet in PCGen but I need some ability, or when playing around with ideas for new features that PFS might need.

I’ve also attached the actual character, a high level PFS character. The PFS character has now been manually edited to change its game mode to Pathfinder_PFS to match the game mode of the campaign homebrew.

So I start up PCGen using the pcgen_JREx64.bat file. GO to advanced sources, set game mode to Pathfinder_PFS and load My Pathfinder Society Campaign and Blood of Shadows. Blood of Shadows is not included in the campaign homebrew. Then I go to File > Open and open the PC. No prompt. PCGen has two sources loaded. The PC has one of the two sources PCGen has loaded. So the source list is different, but no prompt.

In this case PCGen has all the needed sources plus one. PCGen silently loads the PC without warning. While fundamentally this would not cause an error for the PC since all the “needed” sources are already loaded, it does inject a new source into the PC on the next save that a user might not be aware of, and might have been a mistake. The prompt is used to alert the user that some part of the PC might be affected by a different selection of sources. This even applies if the only thing happening is adding new sources since a newer source’s data will, by default, override an older sources data if they are referring to the same ability or item. SO the prompt should appear whenever the source list is different, even if the only difference is additional sources.

Ideally the prompt should have list boxes that show the sources that are the same and the sources that are different between the so the user can make an informed decision at the prompt screen. I know that is asking alot, perhaps too much, in an RC cycle. But at least the existing prompt as it stands now should be shown if there is any difference between the loaded and the character specified sources.

From: main@pcgen.groups.io <main@pcgen.groups.io> On Behalf Of markjmeans via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 12:32
To: main@pcgen.groups.io; nylanfs@...

Okay, I think I figured this out. This is a VERY old PFS PC that has been updated once or twice a year and has gone through many version of PCGen, upgrading the PC each time. It was created back when PFS was not a different game mode. So the PC is set to Pathfinder_RPG even though it also specifies only a single PFS game mode multi-source. And it loads! Weird.

But at least it’s understandable why it doesn’t prompt. It’s a different game mode than what is already loaded and PCGen has never prompted the user when loading a file from different game mode.

From: main@pcgen.groups.io <main@pcgen.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Grosse via Groups.Io

--
--Paul Grosse
@Nylanfs

Braulio D Busquiazo

I tried this with official sources and got the prompt

Next I’ll try with your files and report back.

From: main@pcgen.groups.io <main@pcgen.groups.io> on behalf of markjmeans <markjmeans@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 1:07:25 PM

Still no prompt even after correcting the PC’s game mode tag. I’ve attached the relevant files.

The PC has a single source “My Pathfinder Society Campaign” which is a homebrew source set up as a mult-set so that I have a single place to edit when I buy a new Pathfinder source book that can be used with PFS and so that all my PFS characters gain the benefits of having additional source choices without having to manually edit the PCG file or update each PC’s sources.

The LSTs in the homebrew campaign are also used as a playground if I own a book that is not yet in PCGen but I need some ability, or when playing around with ideas for new features that PFS might need.

I’ve also attached the actual character, a high level PFS character. The PFS character has now been manually edited to change its game mode to Pathfinder_PFS to match the game mode of the campaign homebrew.

So I start up PCGen using the pcgen_JREx64.bat file. GO to advanced sources, set game mode to Pathfinder_PFS and load My Pathfinder Society Campaign and Blood of Shadows. Blood of Shadows is not included in the campaign homebrew. Then I go to File > Open and open the PC. No prompt. PCGen has two sources loaded. The PC has one of the two sources PCGen has loaded. So the source list is different, but no prompt.

In this case PCGen has all the needed sources plus one. PCGen silently loads the PC without warning. While fundamentally this would not cause an error for the PC since all the “needed” sources are already loaded, it does inject a new source into the PC on the next save that a user might not be aware of, and might have been a mistake. The prompt is used to alert the user that some part of the PC might be affected by a different selection of sources. This even applies if the only thing happening is adding new sources since a newer source’s data will, by default, override an older sources data if they are referring to the same ability or item. SO the prompt should appear whenever the source list is different, even if the only difference is additional sources.

Ideally the prompt should have list boxes that show the sources that are the same and the sources that are different between the so the user can make an informed decision at the prompt screen. I know that is asking alot, perhaps too much, in an RC cycle. But at least the existing prompt as it stands now should be shown if there is any difference between the loaded and the character specified sources.

From: main@pcgen.groups.io <main@pcgen.groups.io> On Behalf Of markjmeans via Groups.Io

--
--Paul Grosse
@Nylanfs

Braulio D Busquiazo

No prompt with your custom datasource + blood of shadows.

I thought the prompt would only show if you have items/feats/spells from Blood of Shadows in your saved character and you only currently have your custom source loaded?  I first loaded your PC with your custom source and everything worked.  I then loaded your PC with both your custom source and Blood of Shadows and everything worked.  I added an item to the PC and saved a new pcg file.  I then unloaded all the sources and loaded just your custom source.  When I loaded the new pcg PC file (with only the 1 custom source loaded), I got this (as I expected).

Maybe I am not understanding what you are going for here? 

P.S.

A 1 level dip in swashbuckler for your 14th level Ninja?  😊

From: main@pcgen.groups.io <main@pcgen.groups.io> on behalf of Braulio D Busquiazo <braulio_b@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 3:37:09 PM
To: main@pcgen.groups.io; markjmeans@...

From: main@pcgen.groups.io <main@pcgen.groups.io> on behalf of markjmeans <markjmeans@...>

--
--Paul Grosse
@Nylanfs

markjmeans

Yes, so open PCGen, do not load the PC. Load both sources. Make sure the PC you are loading doesn’t use the Blood of Shadows source. So PCGen has currently loaded two sources. The PC indicates only one of the two sources. Now load the PC. I get no prompt informing me that there is an extra source already loaded.

You should be able to see the same thing from a fresh start of PCGen without any of my special sources or my PC. Load one or more sources form the sources screen, for example only the Core Rulebook. Create a PC and save it. Close and reopen PCGen and load the exact same sources plus one more, for example the Core Rulebook and Advanced Players Guide. Then load the saved PC that you saved with a subset of those sources. On my system, I’m getting no notice that that the loaded sources are different than the character sources. I think PCGen only displays that message if the PC refers to a source that isn’t currently loaded, not the other way around. But it should.

In the above example, while loading the APG source to the PC that is currently only using CR is trivial and it’s unlikely to break any PC, that can’t be said for some of the other Pathfinder sources that use complicated rules that modify or update prior rules, especially when the PCGen > Preferences > PCGen > sources option to “allow newer sources to override duplicate object from older sources” (which is the default setting). Therefore, when the list of currently loaded sources is different form the sources specified in the PCG file, even if the difference is only in effect adding more sources to the PC, the dialog should be displayed. Because, there is still a possibility that the PC could break as a consequence of exposing it to a new source that it has never seen.

From: main@pcgen.groups.io <main@pcgen.groups.io> On Behalf Of Braulio D Busquiazo
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 16:07

I thought the prompt would only show if you have items/feats/spells from Blood of Shadows in your saved character and you only currently have your custom source loaded?  I first loaded your PC with your custom source and everything worked.  I then loaded your PC with both your custom source and Blood of Shadows and everything worked.  I added an item to the PC and saved a new pcg file.  I then unloaded all the sources and loaded just your custom source.  When I loaded the new pcg PC file (with only the 1 custom source loaded), I got this (as I expected).

P.S.

From: main@pcgen.groups.io <main@pcgen.groups.io> on behalf of Braulio D Busquiazo <braulio_b@...>

--
--Paul Grosse
@Nylanfs

markjmeans

An aside….

Yes I started with a level 1 Dwarf Ninja. I like starting with mixtures that are silly or strange. No one expect the Spanish inquisition, or a dwarf ninja. 😊

The ninja is a DEX build with finessed and agile dual wakizashis. And a god-like bluff to feint with improved two weapon feint. So 5 attacks per round at previous level, first attack used to feint in combat nearly always succeeds and the remaining 4 attacks per round are all sneak attacks (target denied dex) doing (1d6 weapon + 7d6 sneak + 1d6 acid + 7 or 14 depending on piranha strike and crit threat 15-20) for each of anywhere from 4 to 6 attacks per round. That’s an equivalent maximum of 52 to 65 d6 of damage per round, but typical is around 22d6 per round. Oh, plus rippling strike and pressure points doing an additional 3 STR damage per sneak attack. Just last week (he was 14th level) he was played and did 200 hit points damage plus 15 STR damage in a single round. The foe had a contingent Heal that negated it all and then cast a quickened dimension door because she know she couldn’t repel firepower of that magnitude! It was actually a low chance for all attacks to hit like that. Typically I will get around something between 60-100 HP plus 6-9 STR damage per round and get a bonus of +7 dodge to AC against the target of the sneak for 1 round.

At lower levels the invisible trick was enough to get sneak damage in most cases, but at high level many things see invisible or have invisibility purge or some other way to avoid that benefit so that trick is not as useful. So I rely more on flank when available, or lose 1 attack to feint with about a 95% chance of success.

The 1 level dip into swashbuckler for the ninja was done later in his career using the retraining rules in the campaign guide. It was originally a 1 level dip into barbarian primarily for the +10 foot speed and feats. Retraining the barbarian class level to swashbuckler had the same BAB, removed feats I no longer needed, freed up other slots previously used for finesse and allowed retraining Dodge to something else since I had two weapon defense at that point. It also added buckler proficiency. Net affect is AC 33 with the potential with fighting defensively + combat expertise + offensive defense of having an AC of 46 when needed. And I just recently added the “dual-balanced” weapon mod to both weapons and now dual fighting has a net only -1 to hit with primary and -2 to off-hand which makes it an easy choice for combat expertise or piranha strike (or both) if I want. The twice a day swashbuckler deed for an extra d6 to escape artist or an extra immediate action 5 foot step or a parry attempt for an incoming crit threat is just a little frosting.

He just leveled up and I still need to choose a feat. It was when looking through that and resolving a ninja trick issue that I discovered the extra rogue talent bug I posted earlier. Thinking about Eldritch Heritage > Stormborn Bloodline for yet another d6 of damage (lightning) to each primary hand attack but that would require two feats.

From: main@pcgen.groups.io <main@pcgen.groups.io> On Behalf Of Braulio D Busquiazo
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 16:07

P.S.

--
--Paul Grosse
@Nylanfs