Topics

PCGen Needs Volunteers! #foss #volunteer

Paul Grosse

PCGen like all volunteer projects needs new blood. We have a robust data team (not that we couldn't use more grant you), the PR Team seems on top of things (mainly me), but our Java code team has been slowly shrinking due to attrition because of RL. We are desperately in need of some new coders that are looking to learn Java (not Javascript, the code team quite firmly corrected my ignorance) or java coders that are looking for a new pet project. If we don't get a more active code team, like all volunteer projects PCGen will ill slowly cease to be due to complete volunteer attrition.

If you are interested reply here on this post, shoot me an email, or on twitter, or on FB, or jump into our discord channel.

Joseph Bryant

Would you consider some tactical changes? Maybe some code conversions to Kotlin? Straight up java I dont have a taste for, but modernizing and improving,  I might be convinced.

On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 4:45 PM, Paul Grosse via Groups.Io
<nylanfs@...> wrote:

PCGen like all volunteer projects needs new blood. We have a robust data team (not that we couldn't use more grant you), the PR Team seems on top of things (mainly me), but our Java code team has been slowly shrinking due to attrition because of RL. We are desperately in need of some new coders that are looking to learn Java (not Javascript, the code team quite firmly corrected my ignorance) or java coders that are looking for a new pet project. If we don't get a more active code team, like all volunteer projects PCGen will ill slowly cease to be due to complete volunteer attrition.

If you are interested reply here on this post, shoot me an email, or on twitter, or on FB, or jump into our discord channel.

Uriel Arakaki

I would like to learn Java. I used Java a little bit almost 10-11 years ago.

Is there any framework? Is it plain Java?

I would like to know more.

El sáb., 27 de abr. de 2019 17:44, Paul Grosse via Groups.Io <nylanfs=yahoo.com@groups.io> escribió:

PCGen like all volunteer projects needs new blood. We have a robust data team (not that we couldn't use more grant you), the PR Team seems on top of things (mainly me), but our Java code team has been slowly shrinking due to attrition because of RL. We are desperately in need of some new coders that are looking to learn Java (not Javascript, the code team quite firmly corrected my ignorance) or java coders that are looking for a new pet project. If we don't get a more active code team, like all volunteer projects PCGen will ill slowly cease to be due to complete volunteer attrition.

If you are interested reply here on this post, shoot me an email, or on twitter, or on FB, or jump into our discord channel.

Hi,

No ideas are off the table, but realize anything you want to enact should be sustainable, and will likely be spearheaded by you, unless someone else is wanting to join the effort.

What is the impact of Kotlin, how does that improve the existing code base?

Thanks!

Andrew

On 4/27/2019 1:48 PM, Joseph Bryant via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

20 year old project. It started out using ant and maven, now it uses bits and pieces from Spring, Maven and Groovy/Gradle.

The github has the codebase if you want to check it out. https://github.com/pcgen/pcgen

We also have two libraries

https://github.com/pcgen/pcgen-base

https://github.com/pcgen/pcgen-formula

Cheers,

Andrew

El s??b., 27 de abr. de 2019 17:44, Paul Grosse via Groups.Io <nylanfs=yahoo.com@groups.io> escribi??:

PCGen like all volunteer projects needs new blood. We have a robust data team (not that we couldn't use more grant you), the PR Team seems on top of things (mainly me), but our Java code team has been slowly shrinking due to attrition because of RL. We are desperately in need of some new coders that are looking to learn Java (not Javascript, the code team quite firmly corrected my ignorance) or java coders that are looking for a new pet project. If we don't get a more active code team, like all volunteer projects PCGen will ill slowly cease to be due to complete volunteer attrition.

If you are interested reply here on this post, shoot me an email, or on twitter, or on FB, or jump into our discord channel.

Russell

So are you looking for people to knock a few of the smaller issues off?

Andrew Maitland

We're looking for the gambit actually.

Inexperienced coders can get their feet wet knocking off little bugs, while experienced folks can move the project forward in finishing the implementation of the REPLACEMENT FORMULA PARSER SYSTEM, or version 3 of the User Interface.

Any and all help is appreciated.

On 4/28/2019 4:31 AM, Russell wrote:
So are you looking for people to knock a few of the smaller issues off?

Robert Singers

I'm an Enterprise/Information/Solution Architect by profession who works on large software and integration projects.  I don't really have a desire to learn Java but there is potentially other things I could help out with.

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 at 08:44, Paul Grosse via Groups.Io <nylanfs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

PCGen like all volunteer projects needs new blood. We have a robust data team (not that we couldn't use more grant you), the PR Team seems on top of things (mainly me), but our Java code team has been slowly shrinking due to attrition because of RL. We are desperately in need of some new coders that are looking to learn Java (not Javascript, the code team quite firmly corrected my ignorance) or java coders that are looking for a new pet project. If we don't get a more active code team, like all volunteer projects PCGen will ill slowly cease to be due to complete volunteer attrition.

If you are interested reply here on this post, shoot me an email, or on twitter, or on FB, or jump into our discord channel.

Robert Singers

Andrew Maitland

Hi Robert,

At this point, I'd ask you where your talents work and what you can bring to the table, since you know where you can fit in better than I could.

Does your experience lend itself to setting up CI (Jenkins)? Or perhaps working with web sites to get the domains sorted out?

I'm available on discord to chat.

Thanks,

Andrew

On 4/28/2019 5:38 PM, Robert Singers wrote:
[...]

??

Paul Grosse

Edited

For all the code volunteers Andrew created a separate chat room and linked a lot of the info that new people need. It's all in the pinned posts at the top.
https://discord.gg/RxyVpcs

Uriel Arakaki

I don't use discord. I'll manera an account.
When Will i be able to Connect with Andrew?

El lun., 29 de abr. de 2019 09:50, Paul Grosse via Groups.Io <nylanfs=yahoo.com@groups.io> escribió:
For all the code volunteers Andrew created a separate chat room and linked a lot of the info that new people need. It's all in the pinned posts at the top.
https://discord.gg/RxyVpcs

For those that don't have discord but want to dig into the project before making one (or joining the team in Slack) Here's what Andrew posted.

Questions: Process for Open Source Project: PCGen
Answer: PCGen code base tries to follow industry standards. In the Github Repo there are 'standards' for code (Line length, breaks, javadocs, etc.) in the repo itself that can be applied to Eclipse or some of the other big IDEs
Answer #2: Git rules apply to branches - Every Feature or Bug patch should have a defined branch (You may name it whatever you like, but if you do many then a standard should be adopted). Example: We use the JIRA ID for the Branch name when we are working on a known JIRA issue. Rebase your branch before submitting.
Answer #3: Anyone on any team may REVIEW a Pull Request. All PRs should be made against the MASTER branch. Only senior volunteers have permission to merge in a PR. Typically after a year with the project and proven track record.
Documentation for the project is diverse. We have Javadocs in the files themselves, tons of notes in the WIKI and of course the end user documentation found both in the repo under the docs folder and bundled with the PCGen application.
This is for setting up your build environment
Which also covers all the standards alluded to before
This page is about UI version 3: http://159.203.101.162/w/index.php/UI_Overhaul
This explains the export template engine we are now using for the PDF and HTM documents: http://159.203.101.162/w/index.php/Template_Engine
Discussion on the replacement of the older 2 systems with a newer formula parser engine that is modular: http://159.203.101.162/w/index.php/Formula_System_Conversion
Work in Progress with the Formula System (What should work today): http://159.203.101.162/w/index.php/Setting_up_the_new_Formula_System