Topics

sticky PCGen entering archive mode. #releases #volunteer

Paul Grosse

Edited

It is with sad news the core team members of the PCGen BoD are stepping down (or handing off the reins to any new blood that wish to take up the challenge).

As of the release of the Pathfinder 2 datasets for 6.08.00 RC7, Andrew Maitland, the Data Lead (the core driving and unifying member of the BoD) will be ceasing any ongoing upkeep and direct involvement with the project. We hope this is accomplished by the end of the year (2019)

Paul Grosse the PR director will hang around and provide advice to anyone attempting to keep the project alive, but will also be limiting his involvement.

The core reasons for the project going dormant are the same as have been stated multiple times in the last year. The core Code Team have had attrition due to RL and nobody willing (or able) to pick up the code and run with it, and without the old time members to explain the code things are continually breaking, gating the releases. And the expected new math library to replace the woefully outdated JEP has never been able to get fully implemented (see above).

The Data team is in better shape because the data is generally easier for new users to start with. But again Andrew was the driving force and repository of why things were done the way they were.

We have had a fine 20 year run from the heady days of Bryan releasing hourly, then daily code updates, to the original D&D 3e SRD being released, through the choppy waters of getting hammered by WotC's refusal to consider the non-SRD info being included (prompting the formation of the separate corporation, Code Monkey Publishing), through the explosion of third party materials causing PCGen's code base to grow by leaps and bounds, though the formation of the 4e and the simultaneous rise of Pathfinder, Starfinder, and now the release of Pathfinder 2e.

Our website will remain up until such as a time that the host decides to quit maintaining it. Our forums have transitioned from Yahoo Groups to groups.io which are free and will continue, our discord channel will continue as long as there are people talking there, our old & broken wiki will be availible, our Friends of PCGen FB page will continue, and there is also a sub-reddit

If anyone wishes to they can take a look at the code here.

Paul Grosse (PR Silverback)

Posting on behalf of the Board of Directors.

Bryan McRoberts (Benevolent Dictator)
Martijn Verburg (Chair Monkey)
Andrew Maitland (Data Silverback)
Tom Parker (Code Silverback)
Gwen Thebich (Data 2nd)
Eitan Adler (Code 2nd)

robert@...

Will there be a way to contribute to keep the web sites up?

Ken Rhodes

Very sorry to hear about the project archival. I can totally relate, and I thank all those who have worked on this project over the years for doing what they've done to give us the best product they could. Please know that your efforts were appreciated, and I wish you all well.

Ken Rhodes

[...]

Our website will remain up until such as a time that the host decides to quit maintaining it. Our forums have transitioned from Yahoo Groups to groups.io which are free and will continue, our discord channel will continue as long as there are people talking there, our old & broken wiki will be availible, and there is also a sub-reddit

If anyone wishes to they can take a look at the code here.

Paul Grosse (PR Silverback)

Posting on behalf of the Board of Directors.

Bryan McRoberts (Benevolent Dictator)
Martijn Verburg (Chair Monkey)
Andrew Maitland (Data Silverback)
Tom Parker (Code Silverback)
Gwen Thebich (Data 2nd)
Eitan Adler (Code 2nd)

Paul Grosse

Honestly the website is pennies per year. Most of the traffic is through our mailing list here, and github. But it is maintained and paid for by Tom Parker. AFAIK he doesn't have any plans to shut it down, but who knows what the future holds.

Jonathan Thompson

If he does plan to let me know and I will probably take over sponsorship of it

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 8:12 AM Paul Grosse via Groups.Io <nylanfs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Honestly the website is pennies per year. Most of the traffic is through our mailing list here, and github. But it is maintained and paid for by Tom Parker. AFAIK he doesn't have any plans to shut it down, but who knows what the future holds.

Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International
thompsonjm@...
Follow me on Twitter @RaiderDragon
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
"Noli me narrare de tua persona fuente!"

Teramis

Paul:
It is with sad news the core team members of the PCGen BoD are stepping down (or handing off the reins to any new blood that wish to take up the challenge).<
I just want to say a big THANK YOU for all the hard work you all put
into this project over the years. For a long time it filled a unique,
even pioneering role in making the trivia of game design manageable. I
used pcgen a lot in the early days, and have returned to it off and on
over the years whenever I had a big design project I needed to get a
handle on. I'm sorry to see this retired, but as a former sfw geek
myself, I fully appreciate the design and maintenance challenges that
have become so burdensome.

I wish you all the best, whatever you turn your creative and coding
talents toward next.

-Teramis

Deborah Teramis Christian
Game Designer & Novelist
http://www.storybones.net

Steven High

So what would we need to do to assume the maintenance of the project. I do not have Java experience, but I have a lot of Systems experience and thus a lot of porting experience on many platforms with many languages---and obviously, I'm versed in shell and Perl and can hack my way through Python.

SFH

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 at 06:26, Paul Grosse <main+owner@pcgen.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Will there be a final 6.08.00 Release to incorporate the fixes to RC7?

Paul Grosse

Yes, once PF2 is in a stable and as complete as possible condition 6.08 will go through the release process and all bug fixes and finished datasets will be released.

~
Paul A. Grosse
PR Silverback
PCGen BoD

On Friday, December 20, 2019, 7:40:40 AM EST, <robert@...> wrote:

Will there be a final 6.08.00 Release to incorporate the fixes to RC7?

Hi,

Yes, I intend to do a final release of 6.08.00 when I'm happy with the fixes and ready to release it to the world. We won't leave people on RC7 with pending fixes...