#pathfinder "Rise of the Runelord Anniversary": cannot add traits #pathfinder

apodavini

Hi,
I'm trying to create a character for the "Rise of the Runelord Anniversary" Edition campaign, but I cannot select the traits.
I see the list, one of the traits (Hagfish Hopeful) is in italic, but when I try to add whichever trait I get an error saying "You cannot select any more abilities".

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Andrew Maitland

You only get 2 traits per character. Did you add your first class level?

On 4/18/2021 2:42 AM, apodavini wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to create a character for the "Rise of the Runelord Anniversary" Edition campaign, but I cannot select the traits.
I see the list, one of the traits (Hagfish Hopeful) is in italic, but when I try to add whichever trait I get an error saying "You cannot select any more abilities".

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

apodavini

Hi Andrew, thank you for your reply.
Yes, I've added 1 wizard level:

But when I go to  Feats & Abilities > Traits this is what I see:

And I can't select any trait:

Thank you again

swiftbrook8

Look at the very bottom of the Trait tab.  In your picture there is a line and header Category:Traits,  Total: 0, Remaining:0

Select the "0" under Remaining and type in 2.  You now have two trait you can add to your character.  I'm no sure why it's not defaulting to 2 traits, but this is a quick and easy fix.

-Swiftbrook

Paul Grosse

I wonder if the No Traits trait was accidentally selected?

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 12:42 PM, swiftbrook8
<swiftbrook@...> wrote:
Look at the very bottom of the Trait tab.  In your picture there is a line and header Category:Traits,  Total: 0, Remaining:0

Select the "0" under Remaining and type in 2.  You now have two trait you can add to your character.  I'm no sure why it's not defaulting to 2 traits, but this is a quick and easy fix.

-Swiftbrook

markjmeans

Maybe you can upload the character file and someone will check for you.

I wonder if the No Traits trait was accidentally selected?

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 12:42 PM, swiftbrook8

Look at the very bottom of the Trait tab.  In your picture there is a line and header Category:Traits,  Total: 0, Remaining:0

Select the "0" under Remaining and type in 2.  You now have two trait you can add to your character.  I'm no sure why it's not defaulting to 2 traits, but this is a quick and easy fix.

-Swiftbrook

apodavini

Anyway, I've tried doing as you suggested: it works and - as I expected - it allows me to add one trait.
I think it should default to 1, why you said 2?

apodavini

Mmh...
Where could I have slected it?

apodavini

This is a great idea!
Here you go,
A.

swiftbrook8

Two traits because that is what is generally given.

Quoting from the Advanced Player's Guide (p. 326) "GAINING TRAITS When you create your character for a campaign, ask your GM how many traits you can select. In most cases, a new PC should gain two traits, effectively gaining what amounts to a bonus feat at character creation."

swiftbrook8

apodavini,

I loaded you pcg file and found that indeed, your PC has 0 traits.  Then I noticed that you only had loaded (under Sources --> Select Sources --> Advanced)  the Core Rulebook and Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide.  When I also loaded the Advanced Player's Guide, where rules for traits are located, PCGen set the number of traits for your PC to 2.  So, you should load the Advanced Player's Guide to get the default correct and you'll get access to a lot more traits for your PCs.

Hope this helps.

-Swiftbrook

apodavini

I see... Thank you.

apodavini

Bingo!
My bad: I don't normally use the Advanced rules, and I didn't realize I hadn't loaded it.
To my (partial) excuse: when I saw the complete list of traits mentioned in the Rise of the Runelords handbook appear in the "Traits" pane:

I thought nothing was missing.
I was wrong

Thank you :)

Paul Grosse

Yea, quite a few of the AP player guides assume you have the Advanced books also in addition to the Core books.