Topics

output only prepared spells

@Ferret_Dave

Greetings,

Is there a way (for a high level cleric) to output only the spells that have been prepared, rather than all that are known ?
And I'm thinking here of the 'full' spell description rather than just a list of spell names...

I.e for the Ref to use for a high level baddie and not have to print out dozens of pages of irrelevant spells, but still have all the details immediately to hand ...

Paul Grosse

I make prepared spell lists for different situations and then it has a page of just those with check boxes

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 6:43 PM, ferret.griffin+io via Groups.Io
<ferret.griffin+io@...> wrote:

Greetings,

Is there a way (for a high level cleric) to output only the spells that have been prepared, rather than all that are known ?
And I'm thinking here of the 'full' spell description rather than just a list of spell names...

I.e for the Ref to use for a high level baddie and not have to print out dozens of pages of irrelevant spells, but still have all the details immediately to hand ...

@Ferret_Dave

I know I can do that, but then that's just a list of spell names, whereas what we want is the full spell descriptions, *just* for the prepared spells.

Means that the big-bad has maybe 2-3 pages of spells rather than 23(!) and all the spell area effect/range/affect calculations are all done.

saxumcaribetum

On 2019-12-02 16:20, ferret.griffin+io via Groups.Io wrote:
I know I can do that, but then that's just a list of spell names, whereas what we want is the full spell descriptions, *just* for the prepared spells.

Means that the big-bad has maybe 2-3 pages of spells rather than 23(!) and all the spell area effect/range/affect calculations are all done.

I'd second Ferret's plea.

The standard output for a Prepared-spell caster, is to print the entire spellbook, plus a small condensed table of names of spells prepared.

Our PCs don't use this option - the players faff around with their spell choices and dip into the big fat splat books they like so much;

I, on the other hand, as SG, would like to have explanatory notes for the spells and effects that an NPC is about to use for 10-20mins, before I move to the next NPC.

I'd like a spellbook for PREPARED casters, which looks like the spellbook for the SPONTANEOUS casters - expanded details of current spells known or prepared. Then when the notes state "cast cast Ferret Weaver's Incantation Of Fiery Words" I have some idea what it does, without having to

1) determine on the fly which book it comes from

2) find the book

3) find the spell in the book

Phew!

--
Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
Sub Rosa Ars Magica zine - https://www.facebook.com/subrosamagazine/

Paul Grosse

It would probably be a custom spellbook that is checking for known & Prepared and only outputting those.

Paul A. Grosse

On Monday, December 2, 2019, 3:27:36 PM EST, Dave Griffin <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

Fyi -  the sources I use include book name and page number for all the spells, so that final bit is ok, but, the idea is to have all the info up front.

Would this just be a filter in the Output sheet?

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 at 20:16, Saxum Caribetum <saxum.caribetum@...> wrote:
On 2019-12-02 16:20, ferret.griffin+io via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

            oxxxxxxx{;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;>

It can be done, just be about 60 minutes making it work. Give or take.

On 2019-12-02 16:20, ferret.griffin+io via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Would this just be a filter in the Output sheet? happy to code this with some guidance...

Steven High

You're just wanting basic parameters and an abstract, right? You can use the book if you need a full description of the Spell, right?

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 04:58, ferret.griffin+io via Groups.Io <ferret.griffin+io=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Fyi -  the sources I use include book name and page number for all the spells, so that final bit is ok, but, the idea is to have all the info up front.

Would this just be a filter in the Output sheet? happy to code this with some guidance...

@Ferret_Dave

Greetings,
I want the DESC (which for my sources is well populated with the full spell description), along with the usual stats - range,DC etc.
The whole point here is that *I* don't want to have to use the book.

For the *prepared* spells, I want the full description format - so it's just a matter of working out how to filter the output so only prepared spells are output using the normal pdf output sheet.

Paul Grosse

Essentially the whole spell-book format, except for the spells marked as prepared.

Paul A. Grosse

On Thursday, December 5, 2019, 9:54:34 AM EST, ferret.griffin+io via Groups.Io <ferret.griffin+io@...> wrote:

Greetings,
I want the DESC (which for my sources is well populated with the full spell description), along with the usual stats - range,DC etc.
The whole point here is that *I* don't want to have to use the book.

For the *prepared* spells, I want the full description format - so it's just a matter of working out how to filter the output so only prepared spells are output using the normal pdf output sheet.

saxumcaribetum

As an alternate voice - I'm happy with the existing format of spell book, with "lite" details.

My enthusiasm is to see a smaller selection of spells in the book - just the ones prepared/known, for ease of printing, saving ink, and ease of reference.

I'm still happy to branch out into the book for the total, full, fluff-inclusive, details. The current detailed spellbook includes page reference.

On 05 December 2019 at 14:59 "Paul Grosse via Groups.Io" <nylanfs@...> wrote:

Essentially the whole spell-book format, except for the spells marked as prepared.

Paul A. Grosse

On Thursday, December 5, 2019, 9:54:34 AM EST, ferret.griffin+io via Groups.Io <ferret.griffin+io@...> wrote:

Greetings,
I want the DESC (which for my sources is well populated with the full spell description), along with the usual stats - range,DC etc.
The whole point here is that *I* don't want to have to use the book.

For the *prepared* spells, I want the full description format - so it's just a matter of working out how to filter the output so only prepared spells are output using the normal pdf output sheet.

Robert Singers

The spellbook is broken for 5e so it's a moot point for some of us.

On Thursday, December 5, 2019, 9:54:34 AM EST, ferret.griffin+io via Groups.Io <ferret.griffin+io=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Greetings,
I want the DESC (which for my sources is well populated with the full spell description), along with the usual stats - range,DC etc.
The whole point here is that *I* don't want to have to use the book.

For the *prepared* spells, I want the full description format - so it's just a matter of working out how to filter the output so only prepared spells are output using the normal pdf output sheet.

robert@...

So it is correct that I cannot print out a wizard character sheet after having prepared spells for the character?
I get an "Cannot perform the requested operation until all page are rendered. Please Wait" error.

Andrew Maitland

It is?

I guess we should fix it.

I was going to tackle a Prepare Spells list version sheet only, but if we have a broken sheet then that takes priority.

On 12/5/2019 11:19 AM, Robert Singers wrote:
[...]

as a workaround, we created a set of scrolls that had the 'SPELLS tag added (modified to casterlevel for the NPC involved), equipped all of those and then just printed off the first 8 or so pages of the character sheet - instead of 23 pages for the full spell listing...

Quite a messy hack, but it worked, and we don't often have such high level recurring villian clerics to deal with...