Topics

Not proficient with Halfling Sling Staff #pathfinder #bug

swiftbrook8

PCGen v6.08.00 RC8
Windows 10
Pathfinder data set (not PFS)

When I create a halfling aclemist (also tested on a generic halfling), if I try to add a Halfling Sling Staff, it show that I am not proficient.  I didn't change the racial trait that changes my racial weapons so I should be proficient.

Ralph Zajac

From the Pathfinder SRD: Weapon Familiarity: Halflings are proficient with slings and treat any weapon with the word "halfling" in its name as a martial weapon. (Emphasis mine.)

What this means is that any weapon with hafling in the name requires an exotic weapon proficiency for that specific weapon for most races. If the character is a hafling, they just need Martial weapon proficiency to be able to use all "halfling" weapons without penalty. You're character, while being a halfling, probably doesn't have martial weapon proficiency. Try creating a halfling fighter or ranger, and see if the penalty is still there. If it is, then there is a bug somewhere.

swiftbrook8

Yep.  Looks like no bug just me misreading the rules.