Topics

Mac OS Java Errors

irkmiller1964

Could use some help trying to get the software to run on my Mac.

So far, I have been unable to get a console window for Java. From what I've been able to determine, it doesn't show on the Mac unless a Java program is already running, which makes checking the Java console problematic if you can't get the program in question to run.

BUT....

I was able to finally figure out how to try and start it from the Terminal Command line and get some feedback:

I am running Java 8 update 191. Attempting to run the pcgen.jar I get the

Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: pcgen/system/Main has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 55.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:467)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:73)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:361)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:349)

at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:495)

Eric

depending what version of PCGen you're trying to run:

Prerequisites:

Java 11 aka Java 55 aka 18.09 or 18.10. (Including OpenJDK 11 variants)

PCGEN 6.08.00 RC2 is not compatible with Java 10 (or earlier) and it is NOT SUPPORTED. To get the latest version of Java, go to AdoptOpenJDK. PCGen has been tested with OpenJDK and AdoptOpenJDK Java 11 (including the JRE). We decided to use Java 11 as this is a 3-year supported (Long Term Support), Java 8 is no longer updated.

if you already have Brew.sh installed, that's definitely the easiest way (if not, it's not hard, just a big download+big install process)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 7:33 AM irkmiller1964 <irkmiller@...> wrote:
[...]

javydreamer

Don't remember the cutoff version, but the current one only runs on Java 11 as indicated in the release notes.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019, 5:41 AM Eric <1ballistic1@... wrote:
[...]

Paul Grosse

We really need to get a dedicated Mac developer involved with the project. If you know any send them our way. :)

Timothy Reaves

I’m a Mac developer.

I just looked at the Jira instance, and looked for anything labeled as Mac; didn’t see anything.  Are Mac-related issues denoted any particular way?

On Jan 16, 2019, at 10:02 AM, Paul Grosse via Groups.Io <nylanfs@...> wrote:

We really need to get a dedicated Mac developer involved with the project. If you know any send them our way. :)

The problem the issues are realated to the release process for the most part. There's a Slack team invite coming your way.

Paul A. Grosse

On Friday, January 18, 2019, 4:54:04 PM EST, Timothy Reaves <treaves@...> wrote:

I’m a Mac developer.

I just looked at the Jira instance, and looked for anything labeled as Mac; didn’t see anything.  Are Mac-related issues denoted any particular way?

On Jan 16, 2019, at 10:02 AM, Paul Grosse via Groups.Io <nylanfs@...> wrote:

We really need to get a dedicated Mac developer involved with the project. If you know any send them our way. :)

Eitan Adler

(groups.io is broken - please make sure to reply to me directly as well)

I run pcgen on a mac. If you could point me at stuff that's broken
that would be great.

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 07:02, Paul Grosse via Groups.Io
<nylanfs@...> wrote:

We really need to get a dedicated Mac developer involved with the project. If you know any send them our way. :)

Eitan Adler

Paul Grosse

Is that better Eitan?