Topics

How to handle skill points from an item #pathfinder

sodron072@...

Hello
In my pathfinder campaign I looted an item that gives a +2 to intelligence and the  she also said it is retrograde so I get 1 skill for ever level I have
I know there is the GM award tab where I can add more skill rank but is that the only way?
I have to keep track of what ranks came from the item in case I lose it. Is there a way to include that on the character sheet when I print it out?

Paul Grosse

If you add an item that has a int bonus in Pathfinder it will give you the retro skillpoints. But AFAIK it doesn't keep track of where they are spent. You can add a note on the description tab of where you spent them.

I was wrong, they changed how int items worked in Pathfinder.
http://pathfinder.d20srd.org/coreRulebook/magicItems/wondrousItems.html#headband-of-vast-intelligence

"A headband of vast intelligence has one skill associated with it per +2 bonus it grants. After being worn for 24 hours, the headband grants a number of skill ranks in those skills equal to the wearer's total Hit Dice. These ranks do not stack with the ranks a creature already possesses."

sodron072@...

Isnt the headband of vast intelligence an exception  to this
Permanent Bonuses: Ability bonuses with a duration greater than 1 day actually increase the relevant ability score after 24 hours. Modify all skills and statistics as appropriate. This might cause you to gain skill points, hit points, and other bonuses. These bonuses should be noted separately in case they are removed

According to this site then I would get more skill points. It has a quote from James Jacobs about this but I am not clear who he is and does he have the final say so
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/28744/do-you-get-skill-points-retroactively-for-increased-int

Andrew Maitland

You need to read further down:

The most prominent exception is the Headband of Vast Intelligence, which gives you extra skill points but locks them to one specific skill and doesn't let you choose. However this is NOT to be generalized to other items; for example the robe of runes and some intelligence-boosting ioun stones do not explicitly bear this restriction and therefore would give you skill points as normal. It's tricky though, because even other similar intelligence-boosting ioun stones do have that same restriction! An item follows the general rule of giving back skill points unless it has a clause saying it doesn't. And if it doesn't, make sure and note what you spend those skill points on in case you lose them.

On 1/31/2019 1:21 AM, sodron072@... wrote:
Isnt the headband of vast intelligence an exception  to this
Permanent Bonuses: Ability bonuses with a duration greater than 1 day actually increase the relevant ability score after 24 hours. Modify all skills and statistics as appropriate. This might cause you to gain skill points, hit points, and other bonuses. These bonuses should be noted separately in case they are removed

According to this site then I would get more skill points. It has a quote from James Jacobs about this but I am not clear who he is and does he have the final say so
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/28744/do-you-get-skill-points-retroactively-for-increased-int

sodron072@...

Yes I did read that
I never said the item I am wearing is a  headband of vast intelligence,  its an item that doesn't exist in any of the books and it gives me a plus 2 permanent bonuses to  intelligence and it does not have any restrictions about skill points.

Andrew W

James Jacobs is creative director, he's responsible for the direction of the
story of Golarion, not for Rules. No, James does not have the final say.

--
  Andrew Wilson
  andrew@...

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019, at 9:21 AM, sodron072@... wrote:
Isnt the headband of vast intelligence an exception  to this
Permanent Bonuses: Ability bonuses with a duration greater than 1 day actually increase the relevant ability score after 24 hours. Modify all skills and statistics as appropriate. This might cause you to gain skill points, hit points, and other bonuses. These bonuses should be noted separately in case they are removed

According to this site then I would get more skill points. It has a quote from James Jacobs about this but I am not clear who he is and does he have the final say so

markjmeans

Just my two cents… Agreed that James Jacobs perhaps doesn’t officially have final say on rules questions. But he is authoritative and at a level way up in orbit above anyone in the PCGen team as to what is or is not Pathfinder. In other words, James’ comment should be considered valid with respect to what PCGen *should* do unless and until overruled by someone higher up in Paizo.

James Jacobs is creative director, he's responsible for the direction of the

story of Golarion, not for Rules. No, James does not have the final say.

--

  Andrew Wilson

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019, at 9:21 AM, sodron072@... wrote:

Isnt the headband of vast intelligence an exception  to this

Permanent Bonuses: Ability bonuses with a duration greater than 1 day actually increase the relevant ability score after 24 hours. Modify all skills and statistics as appropriate. This might cause you to gain skill points, hit points, and other bonuses. These bonuses should be noted separately in case they are removed

According to this site then I would get more skill points. It has a quote from James Jacobs about this but I am not clear who he is and does he have the final say so

Andrew W

Probably the best thing you could do is decide where you wish to put the skill points, then make a new item
in a LST file and add the appropriate skill rank bonuses.  If I wanted this to work that is what I would do

BONUS:SKILLRANK|Bluff,Listen|2

Would add four skill ranks. This will mean that you have to edit the item every time you add a level. But
you will get correct numbers.

--
  Andrew Wilson
  andrew@...

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019, at 4:48 PM, sodron072@... wrote:
Yes I did read that
I never said the item I am wearing is a  headband of vast intelligence,  its an item that doesn't exist in any of the books and it gives me a plus 2 permanent bonuses to  intelligence and it does not have any restrictions about skill points.

Aurélien L.

Adding my two cents as well, so far many FAQ and Rules questions have been answered by James Jacobs, while the official FAQ are answered by someone else, they merely repeat in a more formal manner what J.J. already answered in a forum post.

He's the only one actively answering on the forums as far as I know, and I haven't seen (take this with a grain of salt, I'm far from reading every post from J.J.) him corrected by someone else from the Rules team at Paizo, so far his words are taken as ruling by the community.

Besides, what he said is basically written in the SDR under the Ability Score rules. Unless there's an exception like the Headband of Vast Intelligence.
But OP said he doesn't wear a HoV but a house-ruled magic item giving a +2 to his Int score. This means it would retroactively give him skill points he could allocate as he wants to.

Now his question was if there's any way in PCGen to link an item to what has been retroactively given by this item (in this case, skill points are the only thing that needs tracking beside the usual modifiers from the +2 to Int). Paul Grosse answered that for now, there's no such way to track it beside some work-around (tracking it in the description tab of the item, etc). This could become a nice suggestion, not a high priority one but eventually, it would be nice to be able to track this kind of thing.

PS: two of you may receive this for the second time, sorry about it, for some reason my e-mail wasn't registered anymore.

Best regards,
Aurélien LENGRAND
- PCGen User 8-)

Le 01/02/2019 à 04:09, markjmeans a écrit :

[...]

distant_scholar

Does BONUS:SKILLRANK allow variables?  Could one use BONUS:SKILLRANK|Bluff,Listen|TL to give bonus skill ranks that automatically increase with character level?

Andrew W

It does, although if you're just adding TL, why not use the headband?

This is the solution if you want bespoke allocation of skills on a per level basis that doesn't
let you exceed your level in skill points in a given skill and goes away if you take off the item.

Here is one I prepared earlier:

Totally not broken Int booster<tab>KEY:My Int boosting item
<tab>BONUS:STAT|INT|2|TYPE=Inherent
<tab>BONUS:SKILLRANK|Perception|floor(TL+3/4)|TYPE=GMs pet‡
<tab>BONUS:SKILLRANK|Stealth|floor(TL+1/2)|TYPE=GMs pet
<tab>BONUS:SKILLRANK|Knowledge (dungeoneering)|TL|TYPE=GMs pet

Level    Perception   Stealth   Knowledge (dungeoneering)
1        1            1         1
2        1            1         2
3        1            2         3
4        1            2         4
5        2            3         5
6        2            3         6

I do not believe there is a way to do this in the GUI, you will have to edit a text file.

My 2c, when Paizo makes James the official FAQ writer I'll accept his forum posts
as gospel, 'til then they're just some guy's* opinion.

andrew

† The item name, key and bonus types should be read tongue firmly in cheek.
‡ ;-)
* for some value of "some guy"
--
  Andrew Wilson