Topics

Bug (?) with bonus Oracle spells (PFRPG) #pathfinder #bug

Ben Blank
 

I'm creating a 6th-level Oracle using the PFRPG Core Rulebook and Advanced Player's Guide sources and have encountered what I think is a bug in the way spells known are calculated.  (But I wanted to check here before creating a JIRA ticket in case it's user error.)

When creating an Oracle, there are three sources of spells: normal "spells known", which increase as levels of Oracle are added; cure/inflict spells; and spells from the Oracle's Mystery.  The latter two use the phrases "In addition to the spells gained by oracles as they gain levels" and "These spells are in addition to the number of spells given on Table 2–6", respectively.  However, when using PCGen's spell selector, the cure/inflict spells and Mystery spells are counted against the spells known.  For example, my level 6 Oracle (with the Waves Mystery) should be able to learn three third-level spells, plus Cure Serious Wounds and Water Breathing.  Instead, the latter two spells are counted against my three and I'm only able to select a single additional third-level spell.

I have ensured that "Allow Use of Higher Spell Slots" is not (and never has been) enabled and began with my third-level spells (though I've since added others and seen the same problem with all spell levels), so I'm confident that isn't the issue.  My character file is available at https://gist.github.com/benblank/9f2a82e2cbd4255b8ff93d90911b645b.

Paul Grosse
 

What version of PCGen are you using?

--
--Paul Grosse
--PCGen BoD, PR Silverback
@Nylanfs

Ben Blank
 

Shoot, I knew I was going to forget something.

I've observed this on both 6.08.00 RC1 and 6.08.00 RC2.

Jasper Bogers
 

I've noticed the same thing in PcGen 6.06 and the last two 6.08's. 


On Sat, 8 Dec 2018, 20:01 <ben.blank+groups.io@... wrote:
I'm creating a 6th-level Oracle using the PFRPG Core Rulebook and Advanced Player's Guide sources and have encountered what I think is a bug in the way spells known are calculated.  (But I wanted to check here before creating a JIRA ticket in case it's user error.)

When creating an Oracle, there are three sources of spells: normal "spells known", which increase as levels of Oracle are added; cure/inflict spells; and spells from the Oracle's Mystery.  The latter two use the phrases "In addition to the spells gained by oracles as they gain levels" and "These spells are in addition to the number of spells given on Table 2–6", respectively.  However, when using PCGen's spell selector, the cure/inflict spells and Mystery spells are counted against the spells known.  For example, my level 6 Oracle (with the Waves Mystery) should be able to learn three third-level spells, plus Cure Serious Wounds and Water Breathing.  Instead, the latter two spells are counted against my three and I'm only able to select a single additional third-level spell.

I have ensured that "Allow Use of Higher Spell Slots" is not (and never has been) enabled and began with my third-level spells (though I've since added others and seen the same problem with all spell levels), so I'm confident that isn't the issue.  My character file is available at https://gist.github.com/benblank/9f2a82e2cbd4255b8ff93d90911b645b.

mellorjoshua@...
 

I have noticed that Sorcerer bonus spells know from your chosen bloodline are counted against the spells known per level. Same problem as the Oracle maybe?

Andrew Maitland
 

This pops up every now and again, and it usually boils down to not knowing how many spells they should have.


Can you give a concrete example? At level x I should have these many, but instead I have this value.

I'll take a look if the numbers don't match.

Cheers,

Andrew

On 12/9/2018 1:40 PM, mellorjoshua@... wrote:
I have noticed that Sorcerer bonus spells know from your chosen bloodline are counted against the spells known per level. Same problem as the Oracle maybe?

Virus-free. www.avast.com

mellorjoshua@...
 

Well exemple a level 3 sorcerer with the elemental bloodline should have 5 level 0 spells and 3 level 1 spells + the bonus spell Burning Hands. Every time I have tried making a sorcerer on PCgen it adds the bonus spell to your list but (for the exemple above) when you try to go from level 2 (2 level is 5 0 level spells and 2 1st level spells) to level 3 add that 3rd 1st level spell it says you already have 3 spells because of the bonus Burning hands. It happens at every level where you gain a bonus spell from the Bloodline.

stewart horne
 

Which version of the program are you using? , I'm using 6.06.01 and it's working fine.

Are you going into the "feats and abilities" tab and choosing the cure spells under class features, the spells should be automatically added to the spells known after picking the correct option.

Ben Blank
 

Okay, I just went through this with a first-level Oracle, and I think I see what's happening.

At first level, an Oracle should have access to two first-level spells known, and upon rolling a new character, this is what I see.  However, after selecting the Cure Wounds class feature, PCGen is reporting three first-level spells known, with one already being Cure Light Wounds.  In other words, PCGen adds bonus spells to both the spell list and the total Spells Known.

So what I saw was not a bug, but just me being confused by how the bonus Spells Known were being presented.  Sorry for the confusion!

Paul Grosse
 

Yea! :)


Paul A. Grosse


On Monday, December 10, 2018, 12:33:07 PM EST, Ben Blank <ben.blank+groups.io@...> wrote:


Okay, I just went through this with a first-level Oracle, and I think I see what's happening.

At first level, an Oracle should have access to two first-level spells known, and upon rolling a new character, this is what I see.  However, after selecting the Cure Wounds class feature, PCGen is reporting three first-level spells known, with one already being Cure Light Wounds.  In other words, PCGen adds bonus spells to both the spell list and the total Spells Known.

So what I saw was not a bug, but just me being confused by how the bonus Spells Known were being presented.  Sorry for the confusion!

--
--Paul Grosse
--PCGen BoD, PR Silverback
@Nylanfs