Topics

[OT] Map-Making Software Available for Linux #offtopic #mapping

markjmeans

Hi Brad,

I use MapTool (also a Java program) for the game map during a game. So I use a Raspberry Pi 3 B and Raspbian connected to a projector mounted on the ceiling and facing down onto the table. A large piece is white artwork paper is the screen. MapTool runs on my PC and I enable the MapTool server. Then I VNC into the Raspberry Pi over the local network and run MapTool as a client. My Laptop shows me the GM’s map and the Raspberry Pi displays the player’s map with fog of war, vision blocking, light sources, etc. I zoom the player’s map to 1” squares and the players put their minis on the displayed map. I use MapTool counters for monsters. I play Pathfinder and use the Pathfinder macros in MapTool that allows me to import the all the monster’s stats and hit points.

Eventually, I will replace the non-smart projector with a smart network projector and eliminate the Raspberry Pi from the setup, and just run MapTool in two instances on my PC, one for GM and one for PC on the extended desktop which will be the projector. Or perhaps I will build a tripod elevated mirror and use a short-throw projector to project up to the mirror and down to the table top to make the idea portable and completely eliminate the need for a network connection. As it is now, I don’t need internet access, but I still need a network to connect the PC instance to the Raspberry Pi instance.

To learn how to use MapTool I watched the video series from Thomas Chapman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rVo2Yj-xcw&list=PLD4i-ngGs9thEXoHaxzRqD0b3zWcmpAOn, and read some posts on the MapTool forums.

This process has worked well for 2 years now. I am running Curse of The Crimson Throne Adventure Path for an average of 3 short (2.5 hour) sessions a month. MapTool lets me prepare the maps, vision blocking, fog of war and monster tracking in advance helps me keep the game moving in the short game sessions.

Mark

I've played around a bit with DungeonFog (https://www.dungeonfog.com/) [Thank you for the suggestion Christoph Stahl!]. I turned out this simple map (see attached) with very little effort using the free version of the web app. I really like that it's a top-down mapper and I can apparently create "fog of war" effects on a displayed map so I can use it during a gaming session. I have to work out how to do that still but this is a very cool option.

Brad

Brad Fonseca
XMPP: brad.fonseca@...
XMPP (alt): brad.fonseca@...

Brad Fonseca

I've played around a bit with DungeonFog (https://www.dungeonfog.com/) [Thank you for the suggestion Christoph Stahl!]. I turned out this simple map (see attached) with very little effort using the free version of the web app. I really like that it's a top-down mapper and I can apparently create "fog of war" effects on a displayed map so I can use it during a gaming session. I have to work out how to do that still but this is a very cool option.

Brad

Brad Fonseca
XMPP: brad.fonseca@...
XMPP (alt): brad.fonseca@...

Brad Fonseca

Here is something I built *very* quickly using Dungeon Builder (https://hobbyte.net/). It's an isometric dungeon mapper so that may not be everyone's cup of tea but I like it.

Brad

Brad Fonseca
XMPP: brad.fonseca@...
XMPP (alt): brad.fonseca@...

Brad Fonseca

Inkarnate (https://inkarnate.com/) seems to be pretty good. I put together the maps attached here with the free version and about an hour total effort. This web applications my vote.

Brad

Brad Fonseca
XMPP: brad.fonseca@...
XMPP (alt): brad.fonseca@...

Paul Grosse

If you want an old school feel use the original free hexographer.

http://www.hexographer.com/free-version/

Christoph Stahl

If I may add dungeonfog (https://www.dungeonfog.com/) to the mix. They are free to use for a limited amount of assets and you can upload custom assets.

Greetings,
  Christoph Stahl

Am 30.11.18 um 20:04 schrieb Paul Grosse via Groups.Io:

I would also gather info from the Cartograpgher's guild also.

Paul A. Grosse

On Friday, November 30, 2018, 2:02:21 PM EST, Brad Fonseca <brad.fonseca@...> wrote:

Inkarnate (https://inkarnate.com/) seems pretty promising too. It's
web-based and free (for a limited amount [100] of
"assets"...cartographic features I assume). The fuller version is a
USD$5.00 per month subscription. Web-based, while there are limitations,
is nice because you just open a browser and use it.

I'll try to play with it this weekend and let everyone know.

Thanks,

Brad

--
Brad Fonseca
XMPP: brad.fonseca@...

On 30/11/18 01:03 PM, Brad Fonseca via Groups.Io wrote:
Nick,

Yes, I'm looking for a campaign-level mapper. I have a good one for
dungeons called Dungeon Builder (https://hobbyte.net/) that I supported
on Kickstarter. I need to create outdoor maps or things on a larger
scale. I hope that helps to clarify what I'm asking.

I'll go look for inkarnate too...

Brad

--
Brad Fonseca
XMPP: brad.fonseca@...

[...]

I also found this: https://pymapper.com/

"Pymapper is a map making utility used for role-playing games. The tile
images are provided by the user and can be any jpg or png format image.
Finished maps can be printed scaled down or full size for easy use in
your gaming sessions.

There is also game support for the Paizo Pathfinder and Dungeons &
Dragons 3.5 and 5th Edition rulesets.

A fog-of-war option is also available for those of you lucky enough to
have a projector or other dual screen system.

Pymapper is actively developed in the python computer language, and the
source code is available for download, as well as windows executables."

and...

"Pymapper is open source, and freely available. The source code
requires python 2.x (but not python 3*), and wxpython 2.8 (and not
wxPython 3*). You will need those installed if you wish to run the
native source code, which is required for those on Linux or MacOS.
Windows users can opt to run the source code, or may run the program as
a windows executable.

*Note: You can try to use python 3.x, and wxpython 3.x…no guarantees
what will happen. I’d love to get your feedback though!

As always, if you find problems, please email bugs@... for
assistance."

Thanks,

Brad

On 30/11/18 12:51 PM, Brad Fonseca via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello,

I hope this isn't against the rules but I'm looking for a campaign
mapping application (e.g. Campaign Cartographer or AutoREALM) that will
work in Linux. The program can be web-based and I don't mind paying a
(reasonable) fee to use the software.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brad
--
Brad Fonseca
XMPP: brad.fonseca@...

Paul Grosse

It's setup almost exactly like PCGen, there's a windows installer, a mac installer and a jar file for linux.

Cory Phillips

I use hexographer 2 in a Windows 10 VM using virtualbox on Ubuntu 16.04 and it seems to be fully functional. It is Windows only I believe.

Cory Phillips

I've found Hexographer / Worldograher work well enough with a Windows 10 VM (VirtualBox) on Ubuntu 16.04.

Brad Fonseca

Paul,

The "x"OGRAPHER series looks interesting. Is it set up the same way as PCGen in that you get the actual files or do you get a binary/installer that will only work on windows?

Thanks,

Brad

Brad Fonseca
XMPP: brad.fonseca@...
XMPP (alt): brad.fonseca@...

Brad Fonseca

Nick,

Yes, I'm looking for a campaign-level mapper. I have a good one for dungeons called Dungeon Builder (https://hobbyte.net/) that I supported on Kickstarter. I need to create outdoor maps or things on a larger scale. I hope that helps to clarify what I'm asking.

I'll go look for inkarnate too...

Brad

--
Brad Fonseca
XMPP: brad.fonseca@...
XMPP (alt): brad.fonseca@...

Paul Grosse

http://inkwellideas.com/

All all the "x"OGRAPHER series of mapping from Inkwell Ideas are written in Java.

Nick

If you’re just looking for campaign level mapping as opposed to buildings/dungeons search for inkarnate on google