Date   

Release 6.09.05

Nicholas Hart
 

Hi there,
Not sure if I should post this here or in the Jira. 

I saw that there was a new release and decided to play around with it. I currently am having two issues. 

1) When going to choose skills, the box showing how many ranks you have in that skill does not fill in unless you click inside of it. It just shows up as a gray bar. Also not all skills show up in the preview window. 


2) Living grimoire spell casting still does not work correctly. It now no longer says, "[NOT IMPLEMENTED]" in the description of spell casting but it still does not give the correct number of spells and says it is using WIS not INT. I know when I last put in about this, the response was that it is a not fun coding issue to solve so if I should just stop trying to make one on here that is fine as well. 

PCGen file attached. 


Re: PCGenv6.08.00 RC8 - possible #bug

Joel Fischoff
 

As Brian said, as well as the rules, Paladins are Lawful Good.  Even in 2e, Paladins (or, rather, Champions) have to be on the extreme sides of moral alignment (i.e. there are LG, NG, CG, LE, NE, and CE Champions).  I *think* there was a version in D&D 3.5 that allowed for other "paladins," but even then it was in an extension.  Unearthed Arcana, I think.  *checks*  Sorry, not quite correct.  Unearthed Arcana creates three new Paladins to suit the four 'corners' of the alignment axis - the Paladin (of Honor) [LG], the Paladin of Freedom [CG], the Paladin of Tyranny [LE], and the Paladin of Slaughter [CE].  There's also the anti-paladin, which exists in all three variants.


Joel


Re: PCGenv6.08.00 RC8 - possible #bug

Brad G.
 

Unless you take the Gray Paladin archetype

(darn fast submission)

Brad G.


On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:56 PM Brad Grinstead <brad.grinstead@...> wrote:
Nope. Paladins are required to be Lawful Good.

Brad G.


On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:07 PM Almore Miller <almore.miller3rd@...> wrote:

hi Joel

    I had selected LN alignment - changed to LG and paladin was select able

    I thought you could have paladins of any non evil alignment in pathfinder? possible enhancement?

    thank you for the quick response

Almore Miller

On 9/28/2020 11:54 AM, Joel Fischoff wrote:
I know this will seem relatively obvious, but did you set their alignment to Lawful Good first? AFK so I can't check myself.
On 09/28/2020 1:08 AM Andrew Maitland via groups.io <drew0500@...> wrote:


I'll take a look Tuesday. Are you able to open a ticket?


This should take you to the ticket site:

pcgenorg.atlassian.net


Thanks!

On 9/27/2020 5:34 PM, Almore Miller wrote:
Hi there
 Long time user of PCGEN - but I have found in this release I'm unable to create a Paladin regardless of race

Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: PCGenv6.08.00 RC8 - possible #bug

Brad G.
 

Nope. Paladins are required to be Lawful Good.

Brad G.


On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:07 PM Almore Miller <almore.miller3rd@...> wrote:

hi Joel

    I had selected LN alignment - changed to LG and paladin was select able

    I thought you could have paladins of any non evil alignment in pathfinder? possible enhancement?

    thank you for the quick response

Almore Miller

On 9/28/2020 11:54 AM, Joel Fischoff wrote:
I know this will seem relatively obvious, but did you set their alignment to Lawful Good first? AFK so I can't check myself.
On 09/28/2020 1:08 AM Andrew Maitland via groups.io <drew0500@...> wrote:


I'll take a look Tuesday. Are you able to open a ticket?


This should take you to the ticket site:

pcgenorg.atlassian.net


Thanks!

On 9/27/2020 5:34 PM, Almore Miller wrote:
Hi there
 Long time user of PCGEN - but I have found in this release I'm unable to create a Paladin regardless of race

Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: PCGenv6.08.00 RC8 - possible #bug

Almore Miller
 

hi Joel

    I had selected LN alignment - changed to LG and paladin was select able

    I thought you could have paladins of any non evil alignment in pathfinder? possible enhancement?

    thank you for the quick response

Almore Miller

On 9/28/2020 11:54 AM, Joel Fischoff wrote:
I know this will seem relatively obvious, but did you set their alignment to Lawful Good first? AFK so I can't check myself.
On 09/28/2020 1:08 AM Andrew Maitland via groups.io <drew0500@...> wrote:


I'll take a look Tuesday. Are you able to open a ticket?


This should take you to the ticket site:

pcgenorg.atlassian.net


Thanks!

On 9/27/2020 5:34 PM, Almore Miller wrote:
Hi there
 Long time user of PCGEN - but I have found in this release I'm unable to create a Paladin regardless of race

Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: PCGenv6.08.00 RC8 - possible #bug

Joel Fischoff
 

I know this will seem relatively obvious, but did you set their alignment to Lawful Good first? AFK so I can't check myself.

On 09/28/2020 1:08 AM Andrew Maitland via groups.io <drew0500@...> wrote:


I'll take a look Tuesday. Are you able to open a ticket?


This should take you to the ticket site:

pcgenorg.atlassian.net


Thanks!

On 9/27/2020 5:34 PM, Almore Miller wrote:
Hi there
 Long time user of PCGEN - but I have found in this release I'm unable to create a Paladin regardless of race


Re: PCGenv6.08.00 RC8 - possible #bug

Andrew Maitland
 

I'll take a look Tuesday. Are you able to open a ticket?


This should take you to the ticket site:

pcgenorg.atlassian.net


Thanks!

On 9/27/2020 5:34 PM, Almore Miller wrote:
Hi there
 Long time user of PCGEN - but I have found in this release I'm unable to create a Paladin regardless of race


PCGenv6.08.00 RC8 - possible #bug

Almore Miller
 

Hi there
 Long time user of PCGEN - but I have found in this release I'm unable to create a Paladin regardless of race


Re: Monster Creation Help

ottenhoffj
 

I make custom monsters for my campaigns all the time.  You can templates and class levels.



Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note8, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone


-------- Original message --------
From: "Andrew Maitland via groups.io" <drew0500@...>
Date: 9/22/20 16:54 (GMT-08:00)
To: main@pcgen.groups.io, nicholas.hart17@...
Subject: Re: [pcgen] Monster Creation Help

Hi,

The answer, yes. However, depends on how much effort you want. Most monsters are used once, so don't often need to be created in PCGen.

Looks like quite a bit of effort to me. Is this using the standard stats you linked?

On 9/20/2020 2:56 PM, Nicholas Hart wrote:
I've only recently started to create NPCs on PCGen for an upcoming campaign. One of the monster they will face is known as the Outcast King (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/unique-monsters/cr-6/the-outcast-king/) and uses the amalgam template. Is there any way I can create him in PCGen?


Re: Monster Creation Help

Andrew Maitland
 

Hi,

The answer, yes. However, depends on how much effort you want. Most monsters are used once, so don't often need to be created in PCGen.

Looks like quite a bit of effort to me. Is this using the standard stats you linked?

On 9/20/2020 2:56 PM, Nicholas Hart wrote:
I've only recently started to create NPCs on PCGen for an upcoming campaign. One of the monster they will face is known as the Outcast King (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/unique-monsters/cr-6/the-outcast-king/) and uses the amalgam template. Is there any way I can create him in PCGen?


Monster Creation Help

Nicholas Hart
 

I've only recently started to create NPCs on PCGen for an upcoming campaign. One of the monster they will face is known as the Outcast King (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/unique-monsters/cr-6/the-outcast-king/) and uses the amalgam template. Is there any way I can create him in PCGen?


Re: Faerun

Paul Grosse
 

Yes, it has to be released under the OGL.

~
Paul A. Grosse
PR Silverback
PCGen BoD

Currently Reading
Book Cover
Goodreads Logo Get your own email signature



On Friday, September 18, 2020, 01:12:26 PM EDT, Ramon Menendez <shadowhmb@...> wrote:


Is that the same reason PCGEN cant put gods in their main software.. has to be 3rd party?  And ty for the direction to look.. will see if someone has a PCGEN Faerun datasheet.. will make things much easier
On 09/17/2020 8:30 PM Paul Grosse via groups.io <nylanfs@...> wrote:


Pcgen only includes OGL material, which Wizards released very little of.

If you do a search for PCGen datasets you might see if somebody put their own files up on their website for Faerun material.



On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:28 PM, Ramon Menendez
<shadowhmb@...> wrote:
was using E-Tools for creating Faerun toons and new GM requested we use PCGEN as it is supposed to be a current program..... I could not find any way to actually create a Faerun toon with this program... no planetouched 

--
--Paul Grosse
--PCGen BoD, PR Silverback
@Nylanfs

--
--Paul Grosse
--PCGen BoD, PR Silverback
@Nylanfs


Re: Faerun

Ramon Menendez
 

Is that the same reason PCGEN cant put gods in their main software.. has to be 3rd party?  And ty for the direction to look.. will see if someone has a PCGEN Faerun datasheet.. will make things much easier

On 09/17/2020 8:30 PM Paul Grosse via groups.io <nylanfs@...> wrote:


Pcgen only includes OGL material, which Wizards released very little of.

If you do a search for PCGen datasets you might see if somebody put their own files up on their website for Faerun material.



On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:28 PM, Ramon Menendez
<shadowhmb@...> wrote:
was using E-Tools for creating Faerun toons and new GM requested we use PCGEN as it is supposed to be a current program..... I could not find any way to actually create a Faerun toon with this program... no planetouched 

--
--Paul Grosse
--PCGen BoD, PR Silverback
@Nylanfs


Re: Faerun

Paul Grosse
 

Pcgen only includes OGL material, which Wizards released very little of.

If you do a search for PCGen datasets you might see if somebody put their own files up on their website for Faerun material.


On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:28 PM, Ramon Menendez
<shadowhmb@...> wrote:
was using E-Tools for creating Faerun toons and new GM requested we use PCGEN as it is supposed to be a current program..... I could not find any way to actually create a Faerun toon with this program... no planetouched 

--
--Paul Grosse
--PCGen BoD, PR Silverback
@Nylanfs


Faerun

Ramon Menendez
 

was using E-Tools for creating Faerun toons and new GM requested we use PCGEN as it is supposed to be a current program..... I could not find any way to actually create a Faerun toon with this program... no planetouched 


Re: Hit Point Bug

MVLaRocca@...
 

Thanks for the advice.  I've already made an Excel spreadsheet that covers Attack Rolls (even differentiating the melee vs. ranged bonuses), Initiative tracker (even had the formula roll a random number), Character Points (homebrew rules for using points to do some re-rolls), and one tab for Treasure / Coins.  Guess I'll just throw together one for Hit Points.  And yes, I too am from the golden age of wearing down the first copy of your character sheet with pencil erasures from changing your hit points so much. Old School!  

Thanks again for the clarification and much appreciation for an awesome program that helps me focus on the game.


Thanks,
Mario


-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Maitland via groups.io <drew0500@...>
To: main@pcgen.groups.io; MVLaRocca@...; drew0500@... <drew0500@...>
Sent: Mon, Sep 7, 2020 12:16 am
Subject: Re: [pcgen] Hit Point Bug

I've always been partial to ye olde Excel myself. A simple little formula keeps perfect track of HP and Spell Levels, or points.
PCGen is primarily geared towards creating and maintaining. The Temp bonuses do allow for some neat on the fly calculation changes, but for the more mundane tracking, I would say MS OneNote, MS Excel or the open source equivalents out there (Libre Office if Windows), or if going real basic Notepad will do in a pinch. (Though I grew up in the era of notebook binder paper and sticky notes for tracking such things.)
Honestly, I export to PDFs and html (The html should retain the information, at least until you close the browser, and PDF can be saved with values. That's my go to!)
Hope that's helpful!


On 9/3/2020 1:17 PM, MVLaRocca via groups.io wrote:
Thanks for the information.?? I didn't realize that it was a convenience field but it doesn't seem to work very well as it blanks out anything I put into it every time I switch to another character or tab.

Is there anything else that you can recommend for tracking Hit Points between sessions that is a little more permanent (other than the GM's Notes that is)???



Thanks again,
Mario



-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Maitland via groups.io <drew0500@...>
To: main@pcgen.groups.io; MVLaRocca@...
Sent: Thu, Sep 3, 2020 3:28 pm
Subject: Re: [pcgen] Hit Point Bug

Hi,

That's just a convenience field for when PCGen is running. There is nothing stored between sessions set up for that. (Character sheets are the output, they don't have any direct input back into the program)
Cheers,


On 9/3/2020 12:12 PM, MVLaRocca via groups.io wrote:
Hi Everyone,??

Noticed this the other week and don't really see a solution for it.?? I keep trying to use the "Wounds/Current HP" box under the character sheet to keep track of my characters' Hit Points between games, but for some reason the information doesn't save.?? There have even been times that the update that I write in the field simply disappears when I change screens (either to another character or another tab on the same character).?? I've even tried writing it in different ways (-3 HP, or -2 or 14 for the new HP total) but nothing seems to stay on screen so that I can keep track.?? I am currently using the "Standard.htm.ftl" as that is the closest to my homebrew Pathfinder system, but I have not really tried any of the other Character Sheet layouts (preview.html keeps crashing the whole program).??

Does anyone know a fix to keep that field from just blanking between sessions??? I've had to start using the GM's Notes on the Description Tab to keep track but its a pain to keep swapping back and forth.


Thanks in advance for any help,
Mario





Re: Hit Point Bug

Andrew Maitland
 

I've always been partial to ye olde Excel myself. A simple little formula keeps perfect track of HP and Spell Levels, or points.

PCGen is primarily geared towards creating and maintaining. The Temp bonuses do allow for some neat on the fly calculation changes, but for the more mundane tracking, I would say MS OneNote, MS Excel or the open source equivalents out there (Libre Office if Windows), or if going real basic Notepad will do in a pinch. (Though I grew up in the era of notebook binder paper and sticky notes for tracking such things.)

Honestly, I export to PDFs and html (The html should retain the information, at least until you close the browser, and PDF can be saved with values. That's my go to!)

Hope that's helpful!



On 9/3/2020 1:17 PM, MVLaRocca via groups.io wrote:
Thanks for the information.?? I didn't realize that it was a convenience field but it doesn't seem to work very well as it blanks out anything I put into it every time I switch to another character or tab.

Is there anything else that you can recommend for tracking Hit Points between sessions that is a little more permanent (other than the GM's Notes that is)???



Thanks again,
Mario



-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Maitland via groups.io <drew0500@...>
To: main@pcgen.groups.io; MVLaRocca@...
Sent: Thu, Sep 3, 2020 3:28 pm
Subject: Re: [pcgen] Hit Point Bug

Hi,

That's just a convenience field for when PCGen is running. There is nothing stored between sessions set up for that. (Character sheets are the output, they don't have any direct input back into the program)
Cheers,


On 9/3/2020 12:12 PM, MVLaRocca via groups.io wrote:
Hi Everyone,??

Noticed this the other week and don't really see a solution for it.?? I keep trying to use the "Wounds/Current HP" box under the character sheet to keep track of my characters' Hit Points between games, but for some reason the information doesn't save.?? There have even been times that the update that I write in the field simply disappears when I change screens (either to another character or another tab on the same character).?? I've even tried writing it in different ways (-3 HP, or -2 or 14 for the new HP total) but nothing seems to stay on screen so that I can keep track.?? I am currently using the "Standard.htm.ftl" as that is the closest to my homebrew Pathfinder system, but I have not really tried any of the other Character Sheet layouts (preview.html keeps crashing the whole program).??

Does anyone know a fix to keep that field from just blanking between sessions??? I've had to start using the GM's Notes on the Description Tab to keep track but its a pain to keep swapping back and forth.


Thanks in advance for any help,
Mario





Re: "Standard" Items Missing Upon Reload Of Character

swiftbrook8
 

Ditto on the error.  With so many other things on people plates I haven't brought it up.  A simple workaround is to select the outfit and choose customize it so it has no weight and no cost.


Re: "Standard" Items Missing Upon Reload Of Character

Joel Fischoff
 

If it matters, the original poster is not the only one getting this.  It routinely happens to me as well, usually with the clothing.  It's gotten to the point where I don't even bother to select one.

On 09/05/2020 12:38 PM allencohn <allen@...> wrote:


Hi, PCGen fans,

My apologies if I've asked this before and forgotten the response. With some regularity when I create a character, save it, and later reload it, I get a warning popup that some very basic item is not in the loaded campaigns. Often that item is an item of clothing. Yesterday it happened with a "spade or shovel".

Today it just happened with an explorer's outfit...see below.

Do you know what's up with that? Is there a way for me to fix it?

Thanks,

Allen



"Standard" Items Missing Upon Reload Of Character

allencohn
 

Hi, PCGen fans,

My apologies if I've asked this before and forgotten the response. With some regularity when I create a character, save it, and later reload it, I get a warning popup that some very basic item is not in the loaded campaigns. Often that item is an item of clothing. Yesterday it happened with a "spade or shovel".

Today it just happened with an explorer's outfit...see below.

Do you know what's up with that? Is there a way for me to fix it?

Thanks,

Allen