Re: Add language to 3.5

Barak

 I disagree with your conclusion.  What those "issues" are from is the game system itself, not a lack of version control.

  Haven't you noticed that the core system is "The Rules" and EVERY supplement is the breaking/changing of said rules?  There are additions as well, but the vast majority of supplemental books make changes to the existing rules (the changes running the gamut from expansion to direct contradiction) or even negate them entirely.  The programmers cannot help that a user is expecting the rule from source A but has just loaded every supplement under the sun and caused the rule from source A to be over-ruled (pardon the pun) by the changed one from Source H.

  As I recall at one time there was a discussion of warning people of such things when they loaded data, but the conclusion was there were so many, even just loading a few sources that it just wouldn't be useful (I believe that "running out of memory" was another concern if someone loaded all the files and we tried to report every change to a core rule that would make).

  There are duplicates in the data (for the most part) because there are duplicates in the sources.  All of the issues you are pointing out are in the sourcebooks as well, it's just not as noticeable because a human can wave aside anything that might be considered a conflict and move on.  A computer program not so much.

Barak

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 2:27 PM Steven High <stevenfordhigh@...> wrote:
 There are whole swaths of file data that are duplicated, or rendered null, or in conflict with one another, &c, but all of which comprise a continuing source of error and confusion. That is poor version control.