Re: RC5 no longer asks about sources when loading a character

markjmeans

Still no prompt even after correcting the PC’s game mode tag. I’ve attached the relevant files.

The PC has a single source “My Pathfinder Society Campaign” which is a homebrew source set up as a mult-set so that I have a single place to edit when I buy a new Pathfinder source book that can be used with PFS and so that all my PFS characters gain the benefits of having additional source choices without having to manually edit the PCG file or update each PC’s sources.

The LSTs in the homebrew campaign are also used as a playground if I own a book that is not yet in PCGen but I need some ability, or when playing around with ideas for new features that PFS might need.

I’ve also attached the actual character, a high level PFS character. The PFS character has now been manually edited to change its game mode to Pathfinder_PFS to match the game mode of the campaign homebrew.

So I start up PCGen using the pcgen_JREx64.bat file. GO to advanced sources, set game mode to Pathfinder_PFS and load My Pathfinder Society Campaign and Blood of Shadows. Blood of Shadows is not included in the campaign homebrew. Then I go to File > Open and open the PC. No prompt. PCGen has two sources loaded. The PC has one of the two sources PCGen has loaded. So the source list is different, but no prompt.

In this case PCGen has all the needed sources plus one. PCGen silently loads the PC without warning. While fundamentally this would not cause an error for the PC since all the “needed” sources are already loaded, it does inject a new source into the PC on the next save that a user might not be aware of, and might have been a mistake. The prompt is used to alert the user that some part of the PC might be affected by a different selection of sources. This even applies if the only thing happening is adding new sources since a newer source’s data will, by default, override an older sources data if they are referring to the same ability or item. SO the prompt should appear whenever the source list is different, even if the only difference is additional sources.

Ideally the prompt should have list boxes that show the sources that are the same and the sources that are different between the so the user can make an informed decision at the prompt screen. I know that is asking alot, perhaps too much, in an RC cycle. But at least the existing prompt as it stands now should be shown if there is any difference between the loaded and the character specified sources.