Re: More issues with RC2

Jasper Bogers <joabogers@...>

Being a polyglot developer is generally considered a plus in the world of software development; not a detriment. Not everyone's ability stretches that far and that's fine if it puts bread on the table for you, but do everyone a favor and show some respect to the folks who invest their time maintaining this thing for all of us.

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018, 22:45 markjmeans <markjmeans@... wrote:
I have no experience in Java. Nor do I find any professional need to learn it in my particular windows exclusive application development. Nor do I want my current C# coding speed diminished by errant thoughts of a similar language like Java.

From: Stefan Radermacher
Sent: ‎12/‎15/‎2018 9:30 AM
To: main@pcgen.groups.io
Subject: Re: [pcgen] More issues with RC2

Hey Mark,

so if you're a profssional programmer, why not help out with issues that
are bothering you personally, but where the code team does not have the
time or opportunity to work on? Everyone can submit a pull request.

Cheers,
Stefan

Am 15.12.18 um 18:15 schrieb markjmeans:
Reread my request again. I haven’t asked for changing the PCGen UI
language based on Windows language setting. ONLY the paper format.

If you use PCGen and export a PDF with the A4 setting, then load the PDF
in Acrobat you see no obvious clues that the format was the wrong paper
size. But if you print it to a printer that has Letter paper size you
either get a print with margins that are not visible or you get a print
with shrunk blurry text.

Having been a professional programmer since MS-DOS 3.x, I feel that 99+%
of all “professional” Windows programs ever developed, starting with way
back in the Windows 286 days, have a default page size setting based on
the Windows culture setting or in later Windows versions based on the
paper size setting specified by the Windows’ default printer. Using the
Windows OS provided settings for printing defaults is the recommended
behavior for all Windows programs and not doing this detracts from the
intuitive nature and common behavior expected by any Windows user. PCGen
should do the same.

PCGen should either read the Windows culture specific settings, or read
the Windows default printer settings’ page size property and set the
PCGen A4/Letter size accordingly. This should be done at first run only,
or during the installation process or the page size setting drop down in
PCGen should have a new default option “OS Default” when using Windows.

On 2018-12-14 18:30, markjmeans wrote:

And while not a problem with RC2 specifically, there is a long
standing problem with PCGen and the paper format. PCGen should
detect the OS culture settings and if it is US/English, should set
the paper size to Letter instead of A4. I don’t know how many sheets
of paper I’ve wasted because of this.

oh no! please do not rush to fulfil this request!

Like all too many programs, PCGen actually defaults to US/English in the
first place, and you have to fiddle to get it to "OS language".

Don't track the language!

There is already a "Paper Type" setting on the Preferences > Output
page, same tab where you set the output style sheets, and choose whether
to save output with PC, print spells, print weapon proficiencies, and
print default skills.

A really useful page of settings.

--

Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"