Topics

Newcomer here with a question

Samuel Kauffman

Hello, my name is Samuel, although on the net I generally go by Xamusel or derivatives of that. I am an author, a gamer, and a part-time game dev... especially in regards to the online world. What I generally post on the net has to do with things I like, which includes (drum roll, please)... Tabletop RPGs.

Now, this is something of a possibly stupid question, I guess. However, due to the fact that I've not yet read the documentation in full, I need help in this matter to find the answers. Therefore... where, if possible, do I find the info on how to make homebrew data for PCGen?

...perhaps a bit of backstory is needed. See, I'm not only a gamer, but I'm also learning how to be a Game Master. One of the things I need to do, in that regard, is create custom materials that will be used for the campaigns I'm going to run. Therefore, with that said, I'm hopeful to find out how to make this homebrew material a reality.

So... help?

Andrew Maitland

Hi,

Live chat for asking questions > https://www.hipchat.com/gmddByrFS

pcgen.org > Has a list of the Video Tutorials I created

Documentation has a section about creating your own material, including a fairly extensive Tag library that the Data Files use (And a separate library for the Output sheet should you feel adventurous)

And lest I neglect this, every copy of PCGen (at least 6.x up) includes a data/homebrew folder with premade "templates" to assist you in getting your own creations up and working fast.

Anyways, the team is here to help, but asking broad or vague questions will not get you the answers you want. Be as specific and detailed for us. Asking how to create an entire homebrew is not likely to get you the answer you really want, it is now up to the reader to interpret a implied question and come up with an answer. Something, like "Hey, looking to create a homebrew, what tools and help is available?" is going to get a much better reply.

Hope that gets you started. I'd suggest the live help, great for the early steps of getting a text editor, helpful pointers, and moving in the right direction.

Cheers,

Andrew