Topics

New PCgen user... how to add sources?

Benji Dordoni

Hello there. I am brand-new at using PCgen and I really like the interface, much better than other character generators I have found.

I'm trying to run a 3.5 game and I've used PCgen for several characters and NPCs, but I'd like to be able to use other WoTC supplements beyond Unearthed Arcana and Monster Manual 2. I know that some other sources are available on github but I have no idea how to get them into PCgen!

You folks probably have a lot more experience than I do, could any of you walk me through what I should do?

Paul Grosse

The only 35e WotC sources that I'm aware of is Bahumets Github repo.

And downloading is just like any Github repo. And he has instructions.

https://github.com/BahamutDragon/pcgen/blob/master/README.md

On the front page of any repo there is a button on the right labeled Clone or Download. Click that and select download zip. Then unzip that and erop the contents of the pcgen folder into your pcgen folder on your computer.

Note that his files aren't fully compatible with the base pcgen files i believe.

Benji Dordoni

Thanks for the help. I guess I never realized that I had to download all of the sources and then place the ones I wanted to use.

However, after loading the new WoTC sources, I'm beginning to have another issue. I used the "Core Rulebooks" set as a base and now the feats screen doesn't give me a preview of the feat's functionality, as well as adding a separate "First Level Feats" option that always gives me some error. Am I doing something wrong? I have a feeling that I am.

Andrew Maitland

Hi,

If you're using data sets that we don't provide, then you need to seek help from the person supplying those sets. We cannot provide much support for sets outside our control.

Cheers,

Andrew

On 12/17/2017 7:00 AM, benjidordoni@... [pcgen] wrote:
Thanks for the help. I guess I never realized that I had to download all of the sources and then place the ones I wanted to use.

However, after loading the new WoTC sources, I'm beginning to have another issue. I used the "Core Rulebooks" set as a base and now the feats screen doesn't give me a preview of the feat's functionality, as well as adding a separate "First Level Feats" option that always gives me some error. Am I doing something wrong? I have a feeling that I am.

jakemclaughlin@...

.

Andrew Maitland

Hi Jake,

New Sources - As in the ones being developed? Or the ones released as part of the Out Of Cycle series? Or making something for yourself?

Each of those involves a different answer:

1) I wouldn't advise grabbing new sources in development unless you want to risk buggy / incomplete sources. (We don't accept Jira Tickets for New Sources in development)
2) You download the source, load pcgen and click the INSTALL. You select the valid OOC Set. After it completes, you'll want to completely restart PCGen. Advanced Load Screen - Select the new source from the list.
3) F1 for the Documentation, LST Tag Index is your best friend, as is some out-dated, but still extremely useful LST File Classes. We also have YouTube videos on PCGen Data Set creation. Our PCGen HipChat Support channel is usually manned by a volunteer willing to assist. That is found here: https://www.hipchat.com/gmddByrFS

Hope that hit the question you had.

Cheers,
Andrew

On 1/5/2018 6:40 PM, jakemclaughlin@... [pcgen] wrote: