Topics

D&D again!

josh skag

Coming back to D&D after 12 year absence teaching a younger group of players 3.5 "it's what I know".  I have a bunch of old datasets from CMP and was wondering will those work with new version of PCGen?  Is there something newer out there that would be better to use?

Thanks!

DC <dc1337@...>

PCGen comes bundled with the SRD, which is fine if you just want the basics (maybe best for newbies).
Effectively the 3 core books, plus Unearthed Arcana and Psionics Handbook.

If you want a more complete dataset, you'll have to find a homebrew one (or enter it all yourself).
One I'm aware of is by BahamutDragon. If you google that name, you should be able to find it.

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 12:35, jscag41@... [pcgen] <pcgen@...> wrote:

Coming back to D&D after 12 year absence teaching a younger group of players 3.5 "it's what I know".  I have a bunch of old datasets from CMP and was wondering will those work with new version of PCGen?  Is there something newer out there that would be better to use?

Thanks!

josh skag

Thanks I found Bahamut github it is awesome!  What about converting the old CMP datasets how do I go about it?

Andrew Maitland

Hi,

I did it once... It's a very painful, and time consuming process. Remember, PCGen 5.14 (released 7-18-2008) was the last officially supported version before CMP stopped updating the data due to License restrictions. We've had 5.16 9 months after that, and then 6.0, 6.2, 6.4, 6.6, and now we're on the cusp of 6.8.

I can say that in the last 10 years, quite a bit has changed.

Dare I even ask what book you need converted that isn't available from BD?

Cheers,

Andrew

p.s. All Yahoo Groups are being migrated to Groups.io  -  https://pcgen.groups.io/g/main

On 11/20/2018 8:08 AM, jscag41@... [pcgen] wrote:
Thanks I found Bahamut github it is awesome!  What about converting the old CMP datasets how do I go about it?

dave_the_ferret

I went through a phase of updating the CMP datasets and finally came to the conclusion that it was *FAR* simpler to start from scratch - well, to be honest I ended up just adding the non-OGL bits specifically and then modifying the DESC statements for the OGL stuff already with PCGen.

And then I discovered BD's sources - and now use those pretty much solely, I can highly recommend, he's done a great job, and quite willing to add specific missing bits if you ask nicely ;-)

josh skag

Thanks everyone I will table that Idea.  I just had several data sets so was just curious!