Topics

Temporary class skills? Adding a class skill for one PC only

oe.oe@...

Hi,

for a specific character the GM has ruled he has diplomacy as class skill.
I'd like to put this into PCGen without changing all characters.

So is there a way to add a skill to the list of class skills temporarily?
I am able to homebrew a temporary +3 condition but that does not make it a class skill.

Any idea how and where to add a class skill to one PCs list?

Joel Fischoff

There are any number of traits that make individual skills into class skills. It might be more of a problem to find one that doesn't also give you a *bonus* to that skill, but there are several that do it specifically for Diplomacy, like Ease of Faith. If that works for you, just create a new trait and add it to the character.

Here's the text of Ease of Faith from an older version of PCGen (the one currently installed on my machine), by way of comparison:

Ease of Faith KEY:Ease of Faith_Trait CATEGORY:Special Ability TYPE:Trait.SpecialQuality DESC:Your mentor, the person who invested your faith in you from an early age, took steps to ensure that you understood that what powers your divine magic is no different than that which powers the magic of other religions. BONUS:SKILL|Diplomacy|1|TYPE=Trait CSKILL:Diplomacy SOURCEPAGE:p.4

---

I haven't done any PCGen coding in a long time, since I normally use Excel-based sheets these days, but I'm guessing it's that "CSKILL:Diplomacy" part that's important here.

If you DO get a bonus for Diplomacy at the same time, look through the trait listing at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits and see if you can just choose the one you need.

Joel

Andrew Maitland

Hi,

This question actually belongs in our homebrew support group PCGenListFileHelp - unless the request is "Hey, can you guys add the ability to make select skills as class skills".

CSKILL:Diplomacy
Place it on a template. However, we have GM awards, and you can just grant a +3 to the skill in question.

I have to ask, is there a specific reason it has to be a Class Skill? The +3 is the only benefit that a class skill grants (and only if you have at least a single rank assigned). I am unaware of any classes requiring a skill be a class skill.

Cheers,
Andrew

On 3/21/2016 8:51 AM, oe.oe@... [pcgen] wrote:
Hi,

for a specific character the GM has ruled he has diplomacy as class skill.
I'd like to put this into PCGen without changing all characters.

So is there a way to add a skill to the list of class skills temporarily?
I am able to homebrew a temporary +3 condition but that does not make it a class skill.

Any idea how and where to add a class skill to one PCs list?

oe.oe@...

I tried CSKILL:Diplomacy and that did not seem to work in the templates. Hm. Will try again.

The issues with traits is that I can not select this as additional trait, since they are used up by the normal traits and I have no idea how to allow an extra trait.

I did not question the class skill as such. basically you are right, I could go with a +3 only.

Can you explain what a "GM award" is and how to get this?

Andrew Maitland

Hi,

Feats & Abilities tab, misc subtab, should be a GM Awards section.

Template has to be applied

My Diplomacy Skill
    CSKILL:Diplomacy

All on one line, with a tabspace between the tag and the name.

Cheers,
Andrew

On 3/21/2016 10:39 AM, oe.oe@... [pcgen] wrote:
I tried CSKILL:Diplomacy and that did not seem to work in the templates. Hm. Will try again.

The issues with traits is that I can not select this as additional trait, since they are used up by the normal traits and I have no idea how to allow an extra trait.

I did not question the class skill as such. basically you are right, I could go with a +3 only.

Can you explain what a "GM award" is and how to get this?

Braulio Busquiazo

In the past, I just make a custom wondrous item to equip in inventory, for example:

Boon - Scenario #6-04 Honored Acolyte        TYPE:Magic.Wondrous                                    COST:0        WT:0.0        BONUS:SKILL|Knowledge (History)|0|                                CSKILL:Knowledge (History)                SPROP:While this jewel is in your possession, Knowledge (History) is a class skill.

Just edit that (replacing Knowledge History with Diplomacy) and paste it into any equipment.lst file you are using.  Until you equip it and put a point into it, it won't show as a class skill.

--B--------

Andrew Maitland

Hi,

Egads! Does that code actually work without throwing an error?!?!

Coding snippets and examples should really be discussed on the PCGen List File Help group.

Not to discourage conversation, but  let's talk about the BONUS tag. Why is it even here? Having it is needless code churn, it serves no purpose. Secondly, no PIPE "|" should be the end of a tag syntax.

This is the deprecated Bonus tag - Yes, beyond 6.06 this is going away. The items in the brackets "[" and "]" can be omitted, as they are optional.

BONUS:SKILL|SkillName[,OptionalSkillName]|BonusNumber[|PREx:1,y]

Also, the sentence "Until you equip it and put a point into it, it won't show as a class skill." Is incorrect. Equipping it WILL make it a Class Skill. You will NOT get the +3 skill bonus for it being a Class Skill until you have at least 1 skill rank to it. Which is how the rules work for Class Skill bonuses.

Cheers,
Andrew